Thursday, February 21, 2008

Johan Santana

Alright, I think its time I finally tackle this one. The Minnesota Twins traded Jo-hizzle to the Mets for four prospects. Gomez has the most name recognition, while reports are saying Guerra could be the best one. I don't really care. Now, before I get all excited, I'm not knocking the Twins organization for this trade. They traded Santana before the season, which was a good move, got him out of the AL, which can't hurt, and they got some talent back for him. Besides, these guys know a lot more than I do about Santana, Gomez, Guerra, Mulvey, and Humber. I have no doubt the Twins got the best offer available to them at that time. I think the Twins biggest mistake was not getting someone who is ready to play center. That's not to say the Twins aren't prepared for this year. They have three young guys fighting for the spot, plus four corner guys who are proven big leaguers. One of them, probably Young or Monroe, could play center. Monroe is good buds with the recently departed Torii Hunter and has shown interest in getting a shot to play center inside the giant inflatable toilet. The reason this is a problem is that the Twins will try a bunch of guys out in center, and probably use an older guy at first, thus blocking the progress of a younger player. Its like signing Ponson last year. He just got in the way. And when you're that fat, you're hard to move. But other than that, I'm fine with this trade. And I'm not so sure that there isn't something wrong with Santana. The Yankees and Sox passed on him when the asking price wasn't that high. The best pitcher in baseball, on the right side of thirty, and they can't do better than the Mets? Something smells funny. I think the Twins wanted to unload him before signs started popping up during the season. I mean, he gave up thirty some dingers last year. That's a bit of a caution flag. His fast ball is slowing down, and he doesn't throw the slider as much any more. Is he a one trick pony? Alright, his one trick would be like a pony pulling an elephant out its ass. That changeup is good. But can he dominate with one pitch? I don't know. That's what we'll find out this year I guess.

No comments: